Churches MUST become safe for #DV Victims

16 Feb

I’ve spoken with many domestic violence activists and also with victims of abuse.  One of the most common things they say is that they have not found churches to be supportive of them.  Activists tell me that it is almost as if pastors and church leaders don’t actually even hear what they are saying.  Victims have told me that pastors have condescendingly told them that they are involved in active sin by attempting to divorce their violent abusers and that they needed to go home and submit and “suffer for Jesus.”

This should make you angry and sad.  AND ready to stand up and say NO MORE!  The church should be a refuge for victims of abuse.  Abusers should look at the church as a dangerous place for them to pull out their false-piety and sugary sweet manipulation.

Jesus came so that we would have overflowing, beautiful life.  That certainly includes victims of domestic violence.  Will you help us?

Please ask your pastor to talk about domestic violence at your church.  Tell your pastor that 5 families in your church can be a part of rescuing the 1.3 million victims of domestic violence in the US each year.  Tell your pastor about this incredible resource: http://documenttheabuse.com

I’d love to add you to our growing list of safe families for victims of domestic violence.  Send me a message if you are interested in learning how.

Peace,

Neil

Advertisements

9 Responses to “Churches MUST become safe for #DV Victims”

1. Morven R. Baker February 17, 2012 at 6:32 am #

In history, a person could run to the Church to find sanctuary. As long as they were inside, they were safe. How sad that no longer is the case. Instead, the victim is most often shamed, blamed and forced back ‘home’ into the arms of the one she fled.

Preach it, Neil. I’ve reposted this on my blog and on my FB page.

2. Morven R. Baker February 17, 2012 at 6:35 am #

Reblogged this on Morven’s Blog and commented:
    Just like the cream rises to the top, so this young man is sharing his heart for victims of domestic violence. Is your church willing to help? Spread the word. Please share this with your pastor. There are victims in his/her pews every Sunday, and they need the sanctuary that churches in history used to offer.

• Neil Schori February 17, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Thank you so much!

3. deerlodgevista February 17, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Our victim advocate office just recently developed a relationship with our local ministerial association. I’m so impressed by the support we found among the group. One of the points we all agreed on was that divorce was never the most preferable option, but it is not the sin of the victim to leave the abuser since the abuser already broke their covenant by not loving the spouse as God instructed. (I didn’t come up with that myself… I read it in a book somewhere but I can’t remember what it was called! I’ll have to find it and post the title here–it really was a great resource to put domestic abuse in religious settings into perspective.)

4. Alice February 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Hi Neil, Have you heard of FOCUS Ministries? Our main goal is to work with churches to educate them about domestic violence.

Check it out at http://www.focusministries1.org.

• Neil Schori February 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

I sure have, Alice! I just met Paula this past week. Thanks for commenting…I believe we’ll most likely connect soon.

Neil

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gayle Crabtree Speaks to Over 300 at UMW Legislative Advocacy Day « ImaginePublicity - February 26, 2012

[…] Churches MUST become safe for #DV Victims (neilschori.com) […]

2. SHATTERED LIVES with Donna R. Gore and Guests, Robin Kraemer and Jennifer Lopez of Interval House « ImaginePublicity - March 1, 2012

[…] Churches MUST become safe for #DV Victims (neilschori.com) […]